Monday, June 23, 2014

My No (Sham)poo Summer Routine

All was going fantastically with my hair after discovering and trying the no poo method...

But then summer happened and swimming in a heavily chlorinated public pool made my hair go from amazing to nasty in just one swim.  The chlorine was definitely stripping my hair of its natural oils and thus undoing all my previous work.  Plus, the baking soda and vinegar just weren't getting all the chlorine out.  After some trial and error, here is the routine that is working for me to combat a summer at the pool and helping me re-find my happy hair.
1 Before swimming I wet my hair and skin. 

     Our skin and hair are very porous and it helps to soak them with regular water to reduce the amount of chlorine getting in.

2 Then I coat my hair with coconut oil.  

     This adds extra protection.  When I get out of the pool, most of the coconut oil has come off.

After swimming I spray with vitamin C spray to neutralize the chlorine on my hair and skin.  I let it stay on my hair until I can get home to properly wash it. 

     Here's the Recipe for Vitamin C Spray from Holistic Squid.  I just boiled some filtered water and mixed at the ratio mentioned: 1 tsp of Vitamin C crystals to 2 cups of water.  I keep it mixed up and in my swim bag.


4 I wash my hair with my coconut milk shampoo and rinse with diluted apple cider vinegar.

      Here is the wonderful Homemade Natural Shampoo Recipe by Wellness Mama.  I LOVE using this shampoo!  It is so refreshing and luxurious after almost 2 months of exclusively using baking soda to wash my hair.  It smells wonderful and has a surprisingly beautiful lather.  Extra bonus, it feels a little tingly from the peppermint and it leaves a nice peppermint fragrance that overwhelms the vinegar smell from the conditioning apple cider vinegar rinse.  It is more effective and way easier than the baking soda mixture to wash the remaining coconut oil and chlorine out!  This shampoo recipe will not strip your natural oils, so it is safe for a no poo regime. 

     To make it, I use the canned coconut milk brand recommended (and froze the extra coconut milk into 1/4 cup amounts for future recipes), Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap, 10 drops of rosemary essential oils (I've heard rosemary is good for your hair), and I did add the vitamin E and almond oil since I have dry hair.  I follow with an apple cider vinegar rinse (2 Tbsp ACV & 1 cup water) because I read that you should if you've used Dr. Bronner's.

     Seventh Generation body wash bottles are great for reusing. It was super easy to fill with a funnel for this recipe.  Just pry the top off and fill!  I added the label :)


5 Out of the shower I spray on my aloe leave-in conditioner. 

     I  pre-mix a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio of aloe gel and water (boiled & cooled) in a spray bottle, and apply to damp hair.   I do about 4 sprays or it ends up looking greasy.  It makes a fantastic leave-in conditioner and hair gel!!!  It leaves my hair light with more defined waves.  My hair is not crunchy or greasy and the waves are not weighed down.  The first time I tried it I only applied to half my hair to compare, and the half with the mixture was way better:  more defined curls, less flyaways, and just generally better looking!  I will continue doing the aloe spray even after swim season is over and I'm back to the traditional no-poo regime.  I love it!

     Now I have pretty happy hair despite the evil chlorine stripping my hair of its good oil!

Here is my original post about my normal no poo regime.

No comments:

Post a Comment